“The essential fact is that whatever the terminology, a library deals with language, ideas and enriches our lives and that’s why a library like this will be the heart of the school, always will be.”
- Colin Thiele AC (at the Thiele Library Opening 10 May 1989)
About Thiele Library
Thiele Library is a shared learning space for students from Golden Grove High School. Officially opened in 1989 by the famous South Australian author Colin Thiele, Thiele Library has traditionally been a senior school space shared with students from Gleeson and Pedare Christian Colleges. In 2018, renovations were completed in Thiele Library, so that it can now be used by all students from Golden Grove High School.
Thiele Library’s Physical Space
Amongst the library collection of non-fiction, fiction, graphic novels, biography and reference books, DVDs and magazines, the newly renovated Thiele Library design aims to provide a comfortable study space that promotes independent learning and reading as well inquiry based learning. This is done through the use of functional and flexible spaces and shelving including a dedicated Reading Room that is used by English classes to promote independent lifelong reading. Thiele Library’s new Lecture Room features tiered seating and a digital projector is used by teachers and students wishing to explicitly teach or view a presentation. Thiele Library also has a Seminar Room and other connected classroom spaces for ‘break out’ for classes and small groups of teachers and students.
Resources and Shared Online Databases
Thiele Library provides and facilitates access to a range of digital and print resources to support the reading and research based learning, some of these include:
- Non-fiction and reference books
- Fiction books and biographical novels
- Relevant periodicals and magazines
- DVDs, digital videos, as well as support in accessing Clickview.
- Access to external Online Databases (via the ONE+ Campus shared arrangement) such as Ebscohost (includes ANZ Ref Centre, inc. 30, 000 + journals and magazines, including academic journals plus many more), Gale Virtual Reference Library and Student Resources In-context (New in 2018), Newsbank, and Weblinks.
- 24/7 Online access and resources via Thielelibrary.website
Thiele Library is staffed by qualified Teacher Librarians and Library staff that understand the SACE and Australian Curriculum needs of students. Thiele Library aims to provide students and staff with resources to promote positive reading habits, using the Premier’s Reading Challenge and annual Book Cup, and lifelong learning study habits.
Opening hours are from 8.15 am to 4.00 pm (Monday to Friday) during the school terms.